Translate

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pathways towards Completion

Pathways, guides into the mystery of beyond, once infused with intent radiate a sacred presence into the very air around them. "Follow me," they promise, "for I lead somewhere."

Pathway to toilet foundations.
I worked on a pathway for all of the afternoon. It leads to the site of the dry toilet. The pathway is soft earth lined with stones. I finished construction for the day and walked along, inspecting my work. On the pathway I felt a tingling sensation up and down my spine, such as I have felt at midnight temples and tea-houses in Japan. Working ceaselessly as we are on restoring the old house to the fullest extent possible before the late august moon heralds arrival of a first volunteer; working slavishly on tiny details and in tiny spaces I forget our true purpose. The house, the house ! -- inside becomes my space and outside the wild, the foreboding, all prickly burrs and biting bugs. In placing the pathway I found my head. In placing the pathway I performed a first trick of magic on the site, mixing chaos and order to seed sacred serenity. Renewed, I delighted in the ecstasy of being.

Painting the walls green.
Boring though the recent renovation has been, constant commitment to the task at hand has allowed us to beautify the interior. We have painted the walls, white and lavender in the interior bedroom and white and new-leaf green in the main room. We have sealed the ceilings with plaster and silicon; before that we screwed fresh plywood to the rafters and made ceilings in the pantry and main room. I have hewed four legs for a bed frame from a 5m lumber pole. I have finished the first wood window frame and attached a tule cut to screen out the bugs.

Plywood ceiling.
Bed frame.

Slowly, steadily this temporary residence that has absorbed so much of our time is nearing completion!



1 comment:

  1. great pictures. im starting to get a feel of the main house. do you have pictures of the build site for the cob house you could post?

    ReplyDelete